RESPECT FOR THE EARTH
At Shangri La, we share your love of nature and respect for the Earth from which all things come. That’s why we grow and harvest our teas in accordance with the strictest internationally recognized environmental standards. We are also committed to fair labor practices that promote dignity and human rights in all the countries where we operate.
Our teas are certified by:
- The Rainforest Alliance™. Our farms that have met rigorous environmental and social standards in the areas of biodiversity conservation, worker protection, healthcare and education for children of farm workers.
- The USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP). Our teas has been produced through approved methods that integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster resource recycling, promote ecological balance and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation and genetic engineering may not be used.
- Fairtrade. Our farms meet environmental, labor and developmental standards established by the group Fairtrade International (FLO) and the certification body FLO-CERT. These groups independently audit producers to ensure the agreed-upon standards are met.
- The Jewish Community Council of Montreal. , This internationally recognized organization has certified our tea products as “MK Kosher,” meaning they adhere to centuries-old standards of cleanliness. In addition, Shangri La products carry the designation “Pareve,” meaning they contain no meat or dairy products or byproducts, nor have they been processed with any meat or dairy products or byproducts.
Our manufacturing processes adhere to the following national and international standards:
- Australia’s Safe Quality Foods program (SQF)
- Global Food Safety Initiative (SGSI)
- The USDA’s Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) program
- The USDA’s Good Manufacturing Process (GMP) guidelines
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) guidelines
You will find no tea products produced with more care than those of Shangri La.